Free Translation Software
Hurrah for OpenSource free translation software!
The German translation community certainly benefits from the work of program developers who make their work available to everyone. The following is a selection of language translation software free to download, which will help the work of German translators.
A: Open Source TM Software(What does TM software do?)
1. OmegaT (www.OmegaT.org)
2. FOLT (coming soon) (www.folt.org)
3. Olifant (http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/) is a .NET application that allows you to load or import translation memories in different formats (such as TMX or tab-delimited). You can edit the translation units, their attributes and any other associated data. Olifant allows you to save or export your data in various formats.
4. Anaphraseus (http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/) is a CAT tool for creating, managing and using bilingual Translation Memories. It is an OpenOffice.org Basic macro set available as an OpenOffice.org extension or a standalone document. Originally developed to work with the Wordfast TM format, it can also export and import files in TMX format.
B: Open Source Computer Operating Systems
(Anything but Microsoft!)
1. Linux: Ubuntu Linux is a free Unix-type operating system (www.linux.org) (Useful information on using Ubuntu Linux.)
2. OpenOffice 3.1.1 (www.openoffice.org)
C: Software to Support German Translation-Related Tasks
1. Quick Time audio player from Apple (www.apple.com)
2. Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) – free open source recording and editing software.
3. Soundscriber (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ebreck/sscriber.html) – GNU licensed transcription software
4. Catcount (www.catcount.com) - a word count tool for counting words translated using a variety of CAT systems, where repetitions are charged at different rates.
D: Small Business Software
There are lots of open source tools for general small business management:
(Why do I need business management software?)
1. ]Project Open[
E: Communications Systems (VOIP)
(www.skype.com) – free online telephony and video conferencing
2. Google Talk
(www.google.com/talk) – free chatting and instant messaging (IM)
F: Free Online Translators (Remember the limitations!)
1. The Google Translator
2. The Babelfish Translator
4. World Lingo
I'll be adding additional tools whenever I find something worthy of note - so watch this space!
This article is part of a series on translation software for German translation. Other articles in the series include:
Translation Software for German Translation
Popular TMs on the Market
How TM Translation Programs work
German Translation Software for Translation-Related Tasks
Best small business software for organising your work as a German translator
Translate on the go with an Electronic Handheld Dictionary
Return from Free Translation Software to Translation Software
Return from Free Translation Software to Home